March 5, 2009

All did Harper's Bazaar.

STUPID ME. STUPID STUPID ME!

This moment. I have to record this moment as one of the most awfully embarrassing moments in my life. At the cost of sounding extremely dramatic, I repeat- it was MORTIFYING. I had kept my magazine (one of those glossy fashion ones, you know) on my dinner table before I went out and forgot to get it back!Again: Stupid ME! When I got back, I saw my grandmother (who is willingly orthodox and happily conservative in terms of a typical iyer mami) flipping through the pages of the magazine. It was still fine when she exclaimed with raised eyebrows “3750 chappals-ka?”; “1500 lipstick-ku?” and “enna dress pottundrukka indha ponnu?” But the embarrassment was to its peak when she saw the caption “Dresses to Seduce Your Man”(!) with the elaborate details in pictures and illustrations. I expected her to react with a big scream saying “Krithi! Nee ipdi patta ponnu-nu nan ninakala” or “Enna di aachhu unakku?” and prepared a big speech to justify it in lines of “Illa Ajji, Nan andha pakkam-ellam padikka maaten” or “Ayyo! Andha book ennoda friends-odadhu!”. But much to my tough luck, my grandmom chose the sentimental-attack-path and said “Enna ma, enakku theriyum nee Bangalore-la periya padippu padikara… aana naan idha edhirpakala. Namma tamil kalacharam paarthu nadandhukko. Avalvu dhan solradhukku irukku.” With those words, she walked away to the kitchen with a completely disappointed I-cant-believe-my-krithi-has-turned-into-this-big-city-chick-or-monster look.

And the entire incident had only one effect on me. I ate one dosa less to show my grandmom I really regretted the incident. :( :(

2 comments:

Meena said...

I found this post really adorable.. rotfl... I can understand your situation completely!!

krithika said...

ha ha true! its quite embarrassing!!